I've decided the infamous Chocolate Chip Banana Bread recipe will stay within my family. My mom passed it on to me and one day I'll hopefully pass it on to my own daughter (or son...=) )
However, I will tell you the origin of the recipe along with some tips so you can create your own special recipe to pass on to your generations =)
The original recipe came from a very old book known as "The Woman's Home Companion Cookbook" circa 1942. This book is a fun read. It has everything from proper place settings (including where the ash tray should be placed) to a million meal ideas for the busy homemaker. Now for those of you who know me know that I am semi-feminist and totally against the idea that every woman's purpose in life is to be a homemaker- but this book was written and published back when it was the norm to believe that...so I'll let it slide =) Side note: If you have the opportunity to browse this book I highly recommend it.
The cookbook itself was a gift given to my mom's family. The pages are covered in dried on flour and old food, the edges are worn and the spine is broken. It's the best looking cookbook ever. My mom took the recipe from the cookbook and modified it with her own measurements over the years from the many times she experimented with it. They're written in blue ink beside the original recipe.
It took me YEARS to convince my mom to give me the cookbook. I don't think I've ever wanted another cookbook so badly. I knew it was special as she cherished it like an antique piece of jewelery. It was one of her most prized possessions. She was always happy to give me her recipe but would only let me look at the cookbook...never take it home.
It wasn't until three years ago after I graduated that she gave in and let me have the book. Of course I had to promise I would always take good care of it (and I have...everytime we move it's the one cookbook I keep with me!) and I also had to promise to start making her banana bread.
I made my own adjustments to the recipe- though not many. The biggest adjustment I made is using butter instead of margarine. I'm not a fan of margarine, and butter makes everything better, right?
Other than that I stick to the blue ink instructions.
Last year I was making banana bread and just for fun decided to add chocolate chips. My husband doesn't like banana bread too much as he isn't the biggest banana fan...so I figured maybe this would be a way to get him to eat it more.
And I was right. It's amazing what a few little chocolate morsels can do.
Ever since then I always make the original and chocolate chip when I make banana bread.
Here's a couple of tips I use when making my banana bread:
1. Combine the Dry Ingredients well.
This can really be used for any baking recipie. A lot of recipies say to "sift" the dry ingredients together. Well my sifter is pretty crumby and I've never really had the desire to get a new one. Instead, I "sift" my dry ingredients with a fork. This lightens the dry ingreadients and makes for a light cake/bread instead of a dense one. Works like a charm everytime. And everyone has a fork =)
2. Use the bananas you like to eat.
Ok this is going to sound crazy, but I am VERY picky about the bananas I use for my bread. I think this comes from my banana phase last year when I spent eight months eating a banana everyday for breakfast. (yes I am crazy) During those months I came to learn that I hate Dole bananas because their texture is more chalky than their other counterparts to me. My favorite brand of banana? Chaquita. But if you love Dole, use Dole! Or whatever brand you eat. Just make sure it is a brand you would eat alone as a banana- it will only make your bread tastier =)
3. Mix and Match your Chocolate Chips
This is something I came across on accident recently. I usually use semi-sweet chips for my banana bread but while making banana bread for some friends during Christmas I realized I didn't have enough semi-sweet for the batter. I improvised and tossed in some milk chocolate chips. The combination was a hit and I think from now on I'll use a mix. Also, I don't use a measurement for the chocolate chips. I add enough to make sure there is an even batter to chocolate chip ratio and it works perfectly every time =)
I hope this post has inspired you to get out there and bake up some traditions. There's nothing like a good banana bread to bring back memories...and make new ones =)
Stay Sweet.

NOM NOM
ReplyDelete