I get a lot of questions when I tell people about Stressed Desserts. So I thought I would post a few of them here.
So why Baking?
Well, I love to cook period. But there are a LOT of things in the savory world that I don't like and even more that I've refused to try. For example, just about every protein haha. But when it comes to sweets, I can say there isn't anything I haven't tried and very little that I'm not fond of. I've even tried sweet bean paste...which I'm not fond of...but it was in a cute fish shaped pastry so how could I say no. I've also just always loved to bake. And it seems like sweets put smiles on peoples faces, and that is the biggest perk of the job =)
Where did the inspiration for your name come from?
Three years ago, we went on a trip to New York city and took a visit over to the famous Dylan's Candy Bar. There I saw a shirt that said "Stressed is just Desserts spelled backwards!" A light bulb went off. (No, really. A light went out.) I looked at my future husband and told him that one day, that would be the name of my business.
Why don't you just do cakes and cupcakes?
While I love cakes and cupcakes and recognize that they are the staple go to for events, I am very passionate about other sweet treats. I really love the idea of "Dessert Bars" instead of having just one kind of treat at the event, so everyone can try something new or get their favorite thing. I'm also always experimenting with lots of different kinds of desserts, and want to get their names out there! I think pies, tarts, and puddings are often given too little recognition.
When did you realize this is what you wanted to do?
When we moved away from college I started spending a lot of time baking. I became so interested in it, I seriously looked into culinary school but couldn't afford it financially. After a while, I told myself I was going to pursue it, culinary school or not, and started practicing, reading and learning. I don't regret my decision as I know this is where I want to and should be.
What is your favorite dessert?
Give me a piece of buttery yellow or white cake any day, plain. Believe it or not, I am not the biggest fan of frosting! Or a good slice of lemon meringue pie...mmmmm.
What is your approach to decorating?
I'm very much a minimalist in the way of I don't like clutter. So I like to take an idea and use creative ways to throw two or three points into one form of decoration. For example, the "Eat Me" Alice in Wonderland inspired cupcakes not only represented the iconic pastry from the movie itself, but the colors of the icing and flower were straight from the Mad Hatter's hat in the newest Disney rendition of it. I love classy, classic styles, sharp lines and natural colors. I'm also a sucker for sparkle.
Where do you get inspiration?
Blogs, T.V., magazines, and I get a lot of inspiration from friends and loved ones =)
What is in Stressed Desserts future?
LOTS! We are booking events, getting our name out, and getting slightly better at photography =) We recently got a direct number just for the business, are working out a website...and may be adding a whole new category to the business very soon! So stay tuned =)
Got any questions? Leave us a comment and we'd happy to answer =)
personally, i liked sweet bean paste... as part of a ban bao, it was delicious... :P
ReplyDelete